26 May 2015

Cary Long Course DU

Cary Long Course Du was 2014’s national championship race.  I was excited to make the 3.5 hour journey east to have some competition.  I looked at the start list to see if anybody big was registered and saw last year’s amateur champion was registered.  This made me excited because it was sure to be a solid race.  So I decided to take a half day at work on Friday in order to get to Raleigh in the early afternoon.  This way I wasn’t going to feel rushed to get things done.  There was some awful traffic just west of Raleigh where it seemed that there were 14 accidents!  Just absolutely crazy.  I am a big person on hitting time cuts that I set for myself.  If I set a schedule I like to stick to it.  When I deviate from the path I can feel the frustration building.  The important thing here is to realize this change in your emotion and take steps to mitigate the frustration.  I just do the classic take a couple deep breaths and usually will relax me. 
I ended up getting to Inside Out Sports, location of packet pickup, around 4pm.  The hotel was 20ish minutes from Inside Out sports.  I got to the hotel, unpacked the car, and was battling with myself if I wanted to actually do a shakeout run.  Shakeout runs are not crucial but I like to do it as a tradition and to facilitate some recovery from sitting in the car for 3+ hours.  I watched some of the Amgen TOC TT which got me motivated to go for a little run.  I only went for a 2 mile easy jog and threw in a couple strides at the end.  This made the legs feel good and the mind feel clear.  After that I finished watching the ATOC and Peter Sagan killing it on the TT bike.  Then I drove over to NC State campus area to grab a bite to eat.

Race Day:
I woke up at 0440 and immediately prepped my race day bfast: oatmeal, peanut butter, cacao powder, chia seeds, Beta-Alanine, annnddd most importantly coffee (nasty hotel coffee at that).  I made it over to US National Baseball Training Center (start area) at 0545.  This gave me just over an hour to prep and warm up.  I was only looking to get a 20 minute warm up in because the race was a longer one. Well… turns out that an hour was not enough time for me.  I pulled out my race wheels to find them both flat.  Both of the innertubes were shot.  I hadn’t even ridden on the tubes and they couldn’t hold air.  So I frantically switched out the tube on the disc.  A nice man came up and offered to help with the front wheel but he didn’t really know what he was doing.  I definitely appreciated the attempt though.  I decided to scrap the HED front wheel and just went with my Bontrager 50mm deep wheel in order to still have time to warmup.
Run 1:
I guess last year’s champ didn’t show up because the pace went out really conservative.  I was expecting 5:30-5:40 pace for the front group.  Turns out I was the front group… and only had to go 5:45 pace to have a big gap going into T1.  The run was an out and back course along a bike bath.  The first quarter was flat but with some sharp turns and a ditch crossing.  The second quarter was all downhill which meant the third quarter was all uphill. The course was tough but I knew I had the fitness to carry me through it.  I entered T1 with a 30ish second lead which was nice because it meant I could take my time with the transition.
Bike:
The bike was very uneventful.  I followed as close as I could to my power plan and just kept increasing my lead steadily.  I caught up to up to the sprint distance lead just at the end of the first loop.  This was a great boost to me.  After that quick boost I was let down by one of my gels popping out of my between the arm aero hydration system. L I still had another gel left for closer to the run but it would have been nice to have that extra gel starting into the run.  I entered T2 with a massive lead over second place.  I think I was somewhere in the range of 5-6 minutes ahead of the second place guy.

Run 2

I hopped off the bike and knew the first half mile was going to be a slower trudge.  My left knee was bothering because of a poor cleat fit.  I had experimented with the position a couple days earlier and it gave me some knee trouble.  The knee pain went away before getting out of the parking lot.  I was far enough ahead of second place that I didn’t push the second run.  I kept it around 6 minute pace until the very end.  Once I entered the parking lot to finish I slowed down to almost 7 minute pace.  I was really glad for the win but wished that last year’s champion had been there to test my fitness.  The organizers of Cary put on a great race and I will definitely be coming back next year.

Lesson Learned:

I want to occasionally throw in a summary of lessons learned or basically the moral of the story.
1.      Prep all equipment the night/day prior.  This will allow for a smoother morning and a more relaxed morning.
2.      Get to transition earlier than an hour prior so you can ensure good position.  I was stuck in the back of the transition rack.  This will cost precious seconds in a close race.

3.      Listen to slowtwitch when they say three gels can’t fit in your hydration system.  You will lose one gel 9 out of 10 times.