07 May 2015

The big news (and some life lessons for the young folk)….

Actual picture of house!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi2swj95PA0yz-v1zudA7-wVmanLigGue4lqyxP1s6AYWteKSN2w2dIBDVe46y7VHW2YlMHGLR0ogmfEmFnBMgHMluktYYJpqEfHRr-bLRKE3TVFyh7lKr1q3UodzaHNa6_kXpF0rh2smp6/s1600/house1.gif
The wifey and I decided to buy a house!!!  Part of the reasoning comes from the second big news of the past couple months… we got a second dog!  With another big critter running around the house we decided to look back into the housing market.  We were initially going to hold off until I qualified for the VA loan but figured it would be smart to at least keep an eye on the market.  Keeping an eye on the market allowed us to find the perfect house!  It even has a finished basement (aka space for my bikes and pain cave).  Our family is excited by the next step in being adults (only one more really remaining, kids…).  That is on the books for another couple of years though, which means some solid training time for me.  Buying a house is extremely stressful.  There are always documents to collect, sign, and things to review.  ATTENTION YOUNG FOLK!!! Life lesson I am learning the hard way!  KEEP ALL MAJOR DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE! This includes but is not limited to:
1.      W2s
2.      Tax Returns
3.      Loan applications/loan documents
4.      Keep track of credit report access dates

Now to the good stuff… the new pup.  Her name is Luna and we got her from a rescue.  I took her for her first trail run yesterday.  She did pretty well for a 6 month old dog.  We did about 4 miles at 9 minute pace with some intermittent walking.  She stayed right behind me the entire run.  Can’t wait until she gets a little older and I can take her on some longer runs.  My other dog, Adellaide, doesn’t last much longer than 30-40 minutes on a good day.  And now a picture!
 
She has some big ears, dumbo style.
So… quick update on training and upcoming races.
Next week I have the Cary Du Long Course.  This was last years long course national championship course.  It wasn’t won by a local but there were plenty of North Carolina folks in the top 10.  This excites me because it will kind of show me where I am at compared to the top level athletes and give me a list of things that need more work.  I have heard great things about this course and organizer.  It should be a great race!  If you are in the Cary region you should come out and cheer some athletes on.

Training has turned from race focus back into base mode.  My coach, Scott Proscia of IREP Athletics, and I decided to put a lot of focus in to the national championship this November.  Building a solid base takes a lot of dedication, patience, and mental fortitude.  My last couple weeks have been very hectic with buying a house, Army obligations, a small case of food poisoning, and the new dog.  Building all of this in to a 40 hour work week takes flexibility.  This is important thing for athletes to learn.  Flexibility in the sense that a workout doesn’t always have to go as planned.  Allow yourself to shuffle stuff around or manipulate the workout to fit it into your schedule.  All of my readers probably have a job other than competing and training.  Don’t get bummed or flustered if a workout needs to be rescheduled or cut.


And now I get to spend some time with my awesome parents.  I am excited to show them around my new super awesome city of Asheville, NC.  This place is awesome and just keeps getting better! You guys should really come visit!